If you are looking for a change of scene, but sitting by the sea just isn’t your style, then the time has come to start looking at city breaks.
Cities across the globe offer an exciting overseas experience, where travellers can experience the distilled essence of their destination country. If the idea of exploring urban area appeals then why not try one of these exciting overseas city breaks for your next getaway?
The city of light, as it is popularly known, has long been a favourite for those looking for a short break or urban getaway. With its reputations for romance and rich cultural history, Paris remains a top destination for city breaks. Stroll the city’s signature tree-lined boulevards or indulge in a little top notch retail therapy along in famous shopping streets. Other suggestions of things to do include:
- A trip up the Eiffel Tower – see Paris from a whole new perspective and examine this architectural icon up close.
- A ride on the Bateaux Mouches – cruise the Seine and see the sights in style. Also available with dinner options.
- Catch a show at the Moulin Rouge – the amazing cabaret venue still hosts nightly dinner shows and is the best spectacle in town.
Since the fall of the iron curtain Eastern Europe has opened up to tourism, with the Czech capital of Prague at the vanguard of areas efforts. Heart-warming hospitality, economic accommodation and amazing architecture combine to frame a fantastic city getaway. Things to see include:
- Charles Bridge – A landmark of the city, with its towers and statues, easily accessed from the old town.
- Jewish Ghetto – the original ghetto echoes with the memories of the past and creates a poignant impression on all who pass through.
With its juxtaposition of East and West, Hong Kong is a real cultural melting pot and an exciting city destination. With great shopping and stunning sights, a visit to Hong Kong is a once in a lifetime experience. Suggested activities include:
- Cable car trip up Victoria Peak – take the steep trolley ride to the top of these geographical feature for stunning cityscapes.
- Junk Trip on Hong Kong harbour – cruise in traditional Chinese style soaking up the oriental atmosphere.
A relatively recent addition to the list of must-see cities – Barcelona can hold its own in the Urban break stakes. Stroll Las Ramblas for a feel Spanish feel and soak up the unique European ambience. Other attractions worth a visit are:
- Sagrada Familia – this Gaudi-designed architectural wonder of a basilica is an icon of the cityscape and must be seen to be believed.
- Magic Fountain of Montjuic – combining music, light, movement and water – the magic fountain has captured the hearts of generations of visitors on Barcelona breaks.
The Big Apple, as it is known, remains popular for those seeking a city-based holiday. The epitome of American cool, New York represents the ultimate in urban adventures. Suggested stops are:
- The Empire State Building – Architectural icon and city signature, this remains a favourite site for city residents and incomer alike.
- Central Park – Tour on foot, bike, horse or even by carriage and enjoy this amazing green space in the heart of Manhattan.