Travel apps are helpful and even necessary in lieu of missing flights or not finding desired destinations of a trip. These ten inexpensive apps may improve your next travel adventure.
1. 1,000 Ultimate Experiences ($19.99) This app will ferret out tourist traps that are worth fighting crowds for. It also advises the traveler about “boasts, myths and legends” that could avoid wasting time and energy.
2. Kayak (Free) This is a search engine for flights and hotels, and who doesn’t want that?
3. Loopt Pulse (Free) The app shows real time activity in a map or photo view. Find things to do, and places to eat and drink where your travels take you.
4. FlightTrack ($4.99) This is a universal app for iPhone or iPad. It will track flights and note delays and gate changes. It seems inexpensive considering the savings it provides in preventing travel disasters.
5. National Geographic World Atlas HD ($1.99) This is a map of the world for leisurely perusal. It doesn’t give information, but it may give the viewer ideas for trips.
6. WeatherBug Elite ($4.99) An app that informs the traveler of temperatures and weather conditions in the area in question may save someone’s vacation. Flight changes may be considered after weather updates.
7. Paris Street Map ($2.99) Several cities are offered and it works anywhere. It is not necessary to have a signal because the information is in the app.
8. TruPhone (Free, but calls are extra) Make international calls without calling cards or pay phones. WiFi hotspots, earphones and a mic are necessary. Standard earbuds from an iPhone work fine.
9. Brushes ($9.99) This app is for creating a painting on an iPad. The painter has a color wheel and a choice of brushes to use. Paintings made this way have become the covers of a very well known magazine. It is possible to create multiple layers and the artist can adjust the opacity of each layer. Layers can be deleted, merged and copied between paintings as well. Talented, established artists have used this medium with great success. A two-hour layover could produce an artistic accomplishment.
10. Flight Control HD ($4.99) This iPhone game can now be played on iPad. Operate an airport control tower while waiting on a flight. Pretend to bring the flight in early if it doesn’t happen in reality.
These ten apps will provide references, travel guides, flight tracking and maps. The artistic and game apps will help pass the time between flights, especially if a flight is delayed. Delay? There’s an app for that. Most of them are free or very inexpensive and might just save a wallet full of money for the user, not to mention precious vacation time. It’s time for some new apps.
Nicole has been in the tech industry to for 3 years; she currently blogs about how businesses can implement landing page tools into their business and is always looking for the best hotel deals when she travels.