Visiting the Cultural Capital of Russia can be a breathtaking and memorable experience. Choosing the best accommodation for your stay in St. Petersburg will ensure you meet your travel requirements and find the best “home away from home” to meet your budget. This can be one of the most important parts of planning your trip and this guide will assist you in making the best choice.
When choosing the best place to stay in St. Petersburg we have devised some tips:
1. High season means higher prices – From May until September prices for accommodation in St. Petersburg are more expensive than in the winter. Although the city has a wonderful winter program and a great array of indoor attractions, most foreign tourists arrive in the spring and summer.
2. The center of St. Petersburg is often the most convenient place to stay – One of the main reasons why reserving accommodations in the center of the city is convenient is because St. Petersburg has a multitude of bridges which open in the evenings (except during the winter) and stay open for most of the night. The bridges are beautiful and it is very romantic to watch in the summer during the famous White Nights, when the sun is glowing in the sky, but not if you are on the wrong side of the bridge.
Another reason the center of the city can be very convenient is that many of the main attractions in St. Petersburg are located in the historical center. The Hermitage, Russian Museum, Nevsky Prospect, St. Isaac’s Cathedral, and the Church of Our Savior are all within walking distance.
3. Make sure your accommodation has all the extra services you require – For example hotels offer some extra service but apartments can offer more privacy. It is notable to mention that few hotels offer wheelchair access and handicapped access / rooms. Hotel Vera in the center of St. Petersburg is a hotel that offers both services for guests.
4. Choose a place to stay based not only on price – Ask questions directly to the hotel and check their website Try to find some recommendations from previous guests.
5. Use Google Maps to view your location and some of the main attractions – See where your chosen accommodation is located in relation to the attractions you want to see. If you are on a tour or shore excursion usually a business will collect you from your location.
6. Use the Internet to find the best price and special offers for all types of accommodation – There are many resources on the Internet for booking all types of accommodation in St. Petersburg and many include special offers. Very often you can find special offers and discounts by doing some research.
7. The brand name is not always the best choice – There are many unknown but wonderful accommodations in St. Petersburg waiting to be enjoyed.
Types of Accommodation in St. Petersburg:
Hotel – There is a ever growing list of hotels in St. Petersburg and this is the standard way for most tourists to arrive and enjoy their time in the city. Hotels offer security, all extra amenities and services, and a higher price to match.
Serviced apartments – These are apartments that are serviced and cleaned the same as a hotel. The benefit is that you have privacy, you can cook yourself, and very often you can rent a serviced apartment for less than a hotel room. However, a serviced apartment can’t offer some of the extra services and support a hotel can offer.
Mini-Hotel – Especially in the center of St. Petersburg, there is very little space for new construction. From this grew the mini-hotel market which offers the same services as most of the hotels in St. Petersburg and a discounted price to sweeten the offer.
Hostel – Budget travelers and students will find that hostel accommodations in St. Petersburg are in demand. There is not enough supply to meet the growing demand for budget travel. We advise you to book early.
Cruise Ship – Most American tourists, for example, arrive St. Petersburg arrive by cruise ship. This is a very convenient alternative as the process for obtaining a Russian VISA is simplified, however, the cost is much higher than even a hotel stay.
About the Author: TJ Travel is a fully authorized and licensed tourist company offering a selection of St Petersburg shore excursions for cruise ship passengers and general St Petersburg tours. Our friendly and multilingual St Petersburg tour guides will ensure your visit to our beautiful city will be truly unforgettable. The shore excursions and city tours we offer include the most famous and memorable sites in St. Petersburg including the Hermitage, Peter and Paul Fortress, Peterhof, Pushkin, and perhaps some sites you can’t find in a guidebook.
Images by retlaw snellac